Welcome to the Diocese of Whitehorse.
Our cathedral parish and twenty-two other parishes and missions in northern British Columbia and the Yukon live the life of Christ in the Roman Catholic tradition.
The Northern Light of Christ shines to illumine with faith the hearts of all in our small Catholic communities. We invite you to come and enjoy the wonders of God's creation in the Land of the Midnight Sun.
Bishop Gary M. Gordon
Mary Our Morning Star Retreat House
With generous donations from all over, the dream of a retreat house in
The Yukon is taking shape.
To learn more about how you might be able to participate in this great project, please click here.
Latest Blog Updates
- LENT: The spring-time of our Catholic faith - April 3, 2014 The bright sun of long spring days is doing its mighty work to unlock the frozen North from the grip of winter.
- Listen to the Spirit. He will lead you. - March 13, 2014 This is the time of listening with heart and soul, so that the Wind and the Fire lift me to him!
- Cat.Chat coming to Whitehorse! - March 5, 2014 We're happy to announce that Cat.Chat is coming to Whitehorse and giving a FREE Family Concert!
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for February, 2014 - February 3, 2014 All of us in the Church are disciples, and this we are forever, our whole lifelong...
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for January, 2014 - January 9, 2014 Littleness is knowledge of the fact that you are a creature, utterly dependent on God.
- Traveling far and wide to celebrate Christmas - January 8, 2013 Big drives! Big snowfall! Big hearts! A very big deal, Jesus our Saviour is born for us.
- Thrill of winter sledding - December 13, 2013 Sacred Heart Cathedral organized a sledding event Sunday...
- Mary's "yes" to God's Plan - December 9, 2013 Today we celebrate the dawning of God.s great YES to the whole of creation.
- Essential work in the mission of Christ - December 4, 2013 The work of Ecumenical Dialogue is an essential part of the mission of Christ.
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for December 2013 - November 20, 2013 The address given by Pope Francis at the Pilgrimage of the Families of the World...
Map of the Diocese
The diocese of Whitehorse is vast! It comprises the top northern quarter of the province of British Columbia and the entire Yukon Territory. In this 723,515 square-kilometer area, the total population is approximately 40,000.
Our Catholic population is 7,500, which is served in 23 parishes and missions. Presently four priests, six religious sisters, one Bishop and some very dedicated lay faithful keep the light of Catholic faith shining in our little mission churches.
The seat of the diocese is Whitehorse, the capital city of Yukon Territory. Sacred Heart Cathedral, Our Lady of Victory Parish, and three Roman Catholic schools serve the Whitehorse area.
The vastness of the diocese is matched by the grandeur and beauty of God's creation. The St. Elias mountains with the highest peaks in Canada and massive glaciers, are something to behold. The diocese is geographically situated in the great river watersheds of both the Arctic and Pacific oceans. The Yukon, Liard, Dease, Fort Nelson, Stikine, Nass and Skeena rivers and their tributaries are the historical highways of this land.
The all-season Alaska, Klondike, and Cassiar Highways connect the diocesan missions year round; and provide connections to our neighboring dioceses of Prince George (BC), Mackenzie-Fort Smith (NWT), Grouard-McLennan (Alberta), Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks (Alaska). Air travel connects the people up here nationally and internationally.
To live up here and travel to the small Catholic communities is to experience why "God so loved the World that He gave His only Son" Jn.3:16
It is something beautiful!