Welcome to the Diocese of Whitehorse.
Our cathedral parish and twenty-two other parishes and missions in northern British Columbia and the Yukon live the life of Christ in the Roman Catholic tradition.
The Northern Light of Christ shines to illumine with faith the hearts of all in our small Catholic communities. We invite you to come and enjoy the wonders of God's creation in the Land of the Midnight Sun.
Bishop Gary M. Gordon
Mary Our Morning Star Retreat House
With generous donations from all over, the dream of a retreat house in
The Yukon is taking shape.
To learn more about how you might be able to participate in this great project, please click here.
Latest Blog Updates
- Essential work in the mission of Christ - December 4, 2013 The work of Ecumenical Dialogue is an essential part of the mission of Christ.
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for December 2013 - November 20, 2013 The address given by Pope Francis at the Pilgrimage of the Families of the World...
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for November 2013 - October 12, 2013 Take up My cross (their cross) and follow me...
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for October 2013 - October 12, 2013 Pope Francis gives us just 3 words when answering the question regarding the most important target...
- New pastor for Our Lady of Sorrows parish - October 10, 2013 On the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, the Fort Nelson parish by the same name received a blessing through their new priest...
- Much is in God's Hands - September 19, 2013 On the eve of the Blessed Virgin Mary.s birthday, September 8th, the labourers were many...
- Signs of Spring - June 4, 2013 Three signs of spring on the Feast of the Holy Trinity.
- Holy Family Apostolate reflection for May 2013 - May 14, 2013 The Holy Family Apostolate's reflection for May 2013 has been posted.
- Go out and proclaim the Good News to all creation - April 15, 2013 He said to them, .Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature...
- Holy Family Apostolate Reflection for April - April 9, 2013 Christ has died. Christ is risen. This is the eucharist...
- The Road of the Cross on Passion Week - March 26, 2013 Passion week means very holy roads, with lots of mud and rock falls on the road...
Map of the Diocese
The diocese of Whitehorse is vast! It comprises the top northern quarter of the province of British Columbia and the entire Yukon Territory. In this 723,515 square-kilometer area, the total population is approximately 40,000.
Our Catholic population is 7,500, which is served in 23 parishes and missions. Presently four priests, six religious sisters, one Bishop and some very dedicated lay faithful keep the light of Catholic faith shining in our little mission churches.
The seat of the diocese is Whitehorse, the capital city of Yukon Territory. Sacred Heart Cathedral, Our Lady of Victory Parish, and three Roman Catholic schools serve the Whitehorse area.
The vastness of the diocese is matched by the grandeur and beauty of God's creation. The St. Elias mountains with the highest peaks in Canada and massive glaciers, are something to behold. The diocese is geographically situated in the great river watersheds of both the Arctic and Pacific oceans. The Yukon, Liard, Dease, Fort Nelson, Stikine, Nass and Skeena rivers and their tributaries are the historical highways of this land.
The all-season Alaska, Klondike, and Cassiar Highways connect the diocesan missions year round; and provide connections to our neighboring dioceses of Prince George (BC), Mackenzie-Fort Smith (NWT), Grouard-McLennan (Alberta), Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks (Alaska). Air travel connects the people up here nationally and internationally.
To live up here and travel to the small Catholic communities is to experience why "God so loved the World that He gave His only Son" Jn.3:16
It is something beautiful!